Tanglefree
Lynch Mob Calls

Tanglefree
Lion Apparel Lynch Mob Calls

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: hunting/search dog  (Read 410 times)
fireduck
ProStaff

« on: January 27, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »

Since this site is a dual forum.

I in the process in the next year or two getting a new dog, But I was thinking since I work for the Fire Department how would a duck dog do as a search/ arson dog.

Anybody know if this is possible or they know some who has a dog like this.

A Friend of mine told they used to teach dog certain things by using different collars.
However looking back my dog know know when I grab his hunting vest he knows its time to hunt, so that kinda makes since.

So my question is, is it possible to have a lab do both?

" Children are the future of the outdoors"
Lynch Mob Pro staff
Fowlfighters Pro staff
Wild Wings and Beards Taxidermy

CFashner
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »

Not sure, I no I talked with a guy that handles and owns a arson dog, and their working time is about 5-7 years.  Those dogs get a piece of food everytime they smell accelerant.  Yes that's right 1 piece of food everytime they smell gas.  So that dog has to sniff that to eat every day, however many times it takes to get it's needed food intake.  This dog sat when it "HIT".  Your dog duck swimming across the marsh that abruptly sits because of out board residue on the water, may be a little rough to get through. Grin   The amount of dogs that get washed out of the arson program is only second to seeing eye dog training.  While I always say we don't give them near enough credit for how smart they are, I think this would be tough to pull off.  It takes a ton of time just to make a good finished waterfowl dog.  IMO

"Lets Get Muddy & Bloody"

Hunting Forum

Advertise Here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: